A sampling of my designs as well as personal stitching, and life in general.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

borrowing again

Describe an heirloom that has been passed down through generations of your family. What is its significance to you personally.

This is hard to do.  On the maternal side, my grandfather hated saving things.  He had a field day when the last of his parents died befor other family members stopped him.  I do have a few photos and I have a couple of thigns salvaged from my great-grandparents - a favorite book of mygreat grandfather and some of the pattery and china from my great-grandmother.  My few connections to family.

On the paternal side I have even less.  My pride and joy though is my confederate money.  My grandmother gave it to me when I was 10 or 11 - within a couple of years, she ws gone.  Since my Dad had four sisters, they pretty much got everything!  Anyhow, the money was passed down in her family,  Yes, it's real.  Being from South Carolina, the family fought on the side of the confederacy.   It is a true connection to my ancestors which is a great thing for a genealogist like myself.

So for an only child, growing up an a service brat far from home, every little thing that connects me to the past generations is much appreciated.

Thanks to Lake Stitcher for the question.  Lee can also feel better about her posts - I only managged 14 for the month.  Perhaps next November willbe better for me.

No comments: