A sampling of my designs as well as personal stitching, and life in general.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Mad Hatter Day

Mad Hatter Day


When : Always October 6th Mad Hatter Day is a great day to be silly and celebrate silliness. The Mad Hatter is a fictional cartoon character depicted in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. The Mad Hatter is always acting silly. So, on Mad Hatter Day, it is only fair and fitting to act a little silly yourself. Despite being a silly day, the selection of the date was actually quite logical. The Mad Hatter wears a top hat. On the front of the hat is a slip of paper with "10/6" written on it. The paper is believed to be an order to make the hat, and that it costs ten shillings sixpence. Grab yourself a top hat, and have a a very silly Mad Hatter's Day! Did You Know? In the 8th Century, mercury was used in hat making in a process called "carroting". Mercury poisoning drove some hatters crazy (mad).

2 comments:

marly said...

I learned something today! Hope I can remember it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I read about this on FB, it's because the date is 10/6 as per the price on the Hatter's hat in the illustrations.
Of course in the UK this would be the 10th June.
I got your email about joining in the blog hop but you are a "no-reply" person, so could you email me so I have your contact details? Thank you!